Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Events 2011 Finale

So I hadn't really finished all the Halloween event stuff on all the games and stuff I hang out in, the last time I posted about this. Most things have come to a close now, so just a small update for now.

Team Fortress 2 - So I managed to take down Monoculus and reach the Bombnomicon without too much of a problem. Played most of the time as Scout for the mobility to get into the portals that Monoculus leaves more often, and to hunt down the gift boxes that show up randomly. ... Too bad I never found any gift boxes the whole time I played. D=

I've also considered staying in the Underworld to try to hunt some gift boxes there, but there were already people hogging all the health packs down there, that it would have just ended up killing both of us from... well, the constant damage for being in the Underworld. I wonder if Heavy has a better chance at surviving in the Underworld with his Sandvich, but getting into the portal with his slow movement, as well as getting around fast enough to grab the gift box first is kind of questionable, unless I use the Running Gloves of Urgency and take even more damage per second. ._.

The Bombnomicon is pretty interesting in that you blow up a unique, purple-y explosion when you die. Makes me wonder which effect would have dominance though; the Golden Wrench kill, or the Bombnomicon explosion. ... Oh, wait, according to the Wiki, the explosion is dominant over quite a bit of other effects, including the silent kill from Your Eternal Reward, at least, in the current update.


Guild Wars - So I decided to check out the major cities in Guild Wars to check out whether if Mad King Thorn was around. At first, he wasn't, so I went ahead and did one of the quests that gave me 50 Trick or Treat bags, and when I came to get my reward, he was there playing Rock Paper Scissors with people. I decided to hang around and participate, and he was also giving people more Trick or Treat bags for participating in each action you were supposed to do with emotes. In the end, we played a game similar to Simon Says with the similar concept using emotes, and before he left, he gave everyone a Reaper's Hood. Haven't decided which character to wear it on yet. I know that I'm probably not going to wear it on my Elementalist there. >_> And having it on the Dervish is kind of questionable. He already wears a hood.

There's my Elementalist using a Sparkler I got from the Chinese New Year's event or something. My Xunlai Storage is filled with a bunch of components for Warrior weapons for some reason, and I need to open up more space in there. Maybe I'll just sell them off to the merchant or something, since I kind of doubt I'd be using them any time soon. I'm thinking they'll be used for Heroes on my other characters, but that won't happen for a while.

Gaia Online - I don't even go on Gaia now, but Vicki wanted me to help her out with the event or something, partially because she didn't understand how the event worked, and because of how ... ridiculous it is. For someone who's not so item-driven, it is a huge hassle that isn't even fun; perhaps because the event is broken and poorly executed. I guess compared to some of the earlier years' events, it's better in that they didn't have any server issues while running this event. And honestly? I'm surprised, given how stupid and ridiculous these events are. The whole event is based off of spamming up the event forums. D=

I don't really care to explain this event, but for future reference for people who might not know much about it, here's a brief summary. It's a battle between Humans VS Werewolves, and you get to pick an action to start off with at level 1. Under the enemy's avatars in the main event forum, there is an Attack button to use your attack skills on. Using skills cost energy, and the only way to regain energy is to post in the main event forum. Aside from the energy limitation, if you are dead or have 0 health, you can't use skills either. You can heal yourself by posting in either the Humans' or Werewolves' home base forum, or get healed by an ally.

So naturally, being the main source of energy, the main event forum is filled with a huge amount of spammy BUMP posts. I found it funny that the Sticky thread regarding the forum's rules mentioned not to spam too. Makes me think that they have too many different departments within Gaia that don't communicate enough to know what the hell's going on in the site. >_> But that's not the only issue with this event. I have found quite a few grammatical errors in the event, and I'm talking about basic stuff too, like the difference between "You're" and "Your". There were other instances of grammar fail, but there were also issues with certain skills not working as described; namely skills where you have a chance of stealing the target's energy too. Of all the times I've used it, I don't think it ever gave me the energy it said it was supposed to give me. Just programming fail there, probably. Finally, the leveling up system is far from straightforward as well. It sounds like making kills is the only way to level, but not really. I leveled up mostly as a human by constantly spamming heals. Too bad I couldn't do that as a werewolf because werewolves don't get any healing skills until level 6, and they're crappy anyway. Add to that that there's not nearly enough people healing than there are people attacking, so finding people that aren't already dead is hard as it is. VERY poorly executed, but then again, my standards for quality have been a lot higher lately.

So that was pretty much my Halloween. I haven't finished the wings for Vicki yet either, unfortunately, because I can't figure out how to position the straps on the wings to hang off of her shoulders. I'm going to consult some people who might be more experienced at crafting to see if they have a solution to this before I finish up the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment