Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Growing Nostalgia - Button Mashers

Button Mashers. ._. A flash cartoon series that I wanted to do with my friend Larry from when I was in Rutgers University, inspired by Bonus Stage by Matt Wilson.

http://bonusstage.keenspot.com/episodes.html

We both greatly enjoyed the series, and we wanted to do something like that of our own. We would talk about the plot that we could have, jokes, how we'd do it, etc. Of course, this plan never saw its light of day since... well, it's a huge project, and we were in college at the time. Drawing characters and stuff frame by frame takes an awful lot of work, and then recording our voice acting in good enough quality was another issue too, since we lacked the tools to do so.

It's a shame, because I got a copy of Flash, but... what little experience I have with flash is far from good enough to make anything worthwhile. ._.; It certainly doesn't help that I can't draw people very well, let alone animate them. The picture there is what I drew of my character, pretty without the face so that I could animate the face separately. One of the first things you'd notice about Bonus Stages is the way the mouth is animated in the series. Simple, yet very effective. I mean, I learned the basics of working with Flash at my highschool's graphics arts class. That's where I learned my Photoshop skills, which is great. I still use Photoshop now, mostly for this blog now. But as for Flash, we only touched up on it a little bit, and I never really got the grasp of the more detailed stuff in animating things on there.

Seeing the difficulties in animating it though, the idea downgraded itself to a web comic instead. Considering I can use Photoshop, that seems like a more reasonable goal than making an animated series. Of course, it still wasn't going to happen by myself since I couldn't draw people. I mean, look at that thing I made! @_@ It looks like any amateur flash art you'd see all over NewGrounds or something. I'd like to think that I have greater standards than that, if I were to publish a web comic. I never did attempt to make the web comic happen though, partially because by then, I wasn't at Rutgers anymore. Instead, I'd talk about this with my little brother, Taco. He certainly enjoys the idea of a Bonus Stage inspired cartoon or comic, and naturally, he wanted to be a part of it as well. Which is fine, since I still needed characters for this anyway, and he kind of fits the part of the crazy and retarded guy anyway. For some reason though, the plot of one episode was about how Taco pisses off a goth kid or something, and he places a curse on him. Except it wasn't a very good curse, because it made him immortal. Whenever he dies in an episode, he would then just *poof* into a green triangle with a face. ... Certainly made the idea of drawing him easier that way.

Anyway, as I continue to update my blog, it gives me the urge to start this web comic, now that I have an audience and a place to host it at. It would be nice to slap a few things together quickly and make a few short comics and see how it does. Not sure if the plot will still be the same, since it's been several years since the original idea was thought up. One of the episodes would be about me finally learning how to drive, since I got my license rather late, partially because I didn't need to drive while dorming at Rutgers. The episode would consist of me driving the way I knew best... Speeding through the roads by Snaking, a glitch/exploit used in F-Zero GX and Mario Kart DS where you move left and right to attain speeds normally unachievable at all times.

 

Of course, there are plenty more of dumb ideas to be tossed into the making of this comic. >_> And hey, it's about time Taco learned how to drive too. It all works out. ... Hopefully he won't be snaking in real life though. Cause he won't be crawling out of the car as a green triangle like he would in the comic... 

Oh yeah, I don't know whether to call it Button Mashers anymore either, because I think there's a game show or something called that now, which sort of saddens me. ._. But we'll see what will become of this whole idea if I ever do decide to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment