Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Review - Terraria


I have already written a review for this game on Steam, but I'll go ahead and copy what I have written there, and add more to it here.

 

Bunker I made in SuperCoke's world
"Great game for $10, especially considering there's content for many different types of players. Explore many randomly generated 2D worlds and discover many treasures on the way. Adventure through many different biomes such as the forest, the Corruption, jungles, deserts, underground, Dungeons, floating islands in the sky, and the Underworld, fighting your way against all the monsters and creatures that you may encounter in them. You can also trigger events through your adventures that may affect your world. Remodel your world by building all sorts of buildings and terrain with both materials you find and create. On top of all that, this game has multiplayer support to explore, adventure, build, and also Role Play with.

With so much to do, I easily spent 60+ hours on it, and still play often. Feel free to contact me so we can play multiplayer together. =D

* Description was made during update 1.05. Frequent updates may include more than what is described here."

A building I made in version 1.04
I got this game during version 1.04, when a friend of mine on Steam offered me a free copy since he got the 4-pack. (Thanks, SuperCoke!) I enjoyed the game so much, I decided to grab this game for Taco as well, who I knew would enjoy sandbox games like this. Surely enough, we played a lot, and gathered lots of materials and slain many monsters and bosses. o_o Other friends have joined in too on my server, like Solomon, Gamer, CrankyCrab, and... trying to remember if anyone else joined in with us, but I don't think I recall the others having joined me. Either way, we've built quite a lot of things too, with even bigger projects on the way.

Taco and Solomon digging tunnel
Gameplay-wise, there's definitely a lot to do. The moment you start the game, you can explore, mine, build, poke a few slimes, etc. And then night time will come and you'll get swarmed by zombies and learn the importance of building shelters. >_> By the time you get a shelter built, and night time comes, you end up looking at all the things that you can craft with what materials you've gathered while you wait for day time to come and get ideas of what you want to build. That usually consists of better equipments so that you can withstand monsters better for further exploration, allowing for more materials to be gathered.

Apartment in version 1.05 (unfinished)
Exploration is fun when you can randomly generate worlds. With all the ores you find in the ground, pots filled with items, and treasure chests hidden in the caverns, exploration is kept fun and rewarding. Slaying monsters doesn't give you any EXP, since this isn't a game where you level up in, but with monster drops being used for crafting and accumulating money to buy things from NPCs, there's plenty of things to work for during your explorations. Add to that multiplayer, and you can have fun explorations in a party, or even PVP with other people. Even PVP between two different parties, or up to 4 parties of varying party member sizes can all duke it out in an all open war for the heck of it too.
Extended upwards a bit.
Graphics is something that is difficult to really judge, because... well, some people have different opinions on different styles. Personally, I really like this style that is reminiscent of 16-bit games. From the character sprites to the environment tiles, it really speaks to me by giving me a sense of nostalgia with a fresh, new package in a very open-ended game. Sounds may not be the strongest point in the game, but it isn't bad either. I guess my major annoyance with the sounds is when the zombies will keep knocking on your door at night time, throughout the whole night, until you kill them. It's pretty annoying when they do that, while you're just trying to manage your inventory and stuff.
 
Underground Gardens.
This game can easily provide many hours of entertainment due to its openness. As I write this blog, my Steam account tells me that I have played Terraria for 136.6 hours now, and with big plans on the works in my world, that number is bound to rise up higher. Soon, with more updates to come for the game, adding new features such as colored lights, more furnitures, and possibly more biomes, the game will grow further into a bigger game that you can spend even more hours on; especially for builders.

Considering that this game is originally $10, and have gone on sales for as cheap as $5 on Steam, there's no reason not to get this game if an open-world, multiplayer sandbox game is your fancy. Check out the site for more details.

Edit: There has been a few updates for Terraria since this review was posted. Check the other posts labeled with the Terraria label for more info.
www.terraria.org

No comments:

Post a Comment