Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Finally, my new phone arrived! I got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus off of Amazon at $49.99 as an existing Verizon member, and it is amazing so far. Glad I didn't get a 8 GB iPhone 4 at the same price at Best Buy, which the rest of my family did.

Although, due to my excitement from ordering the phone on Amazon, I forgot to get any accessories for it. By the time I realized, the phone had already left the warehouse, so I figured I'd buy a screen protector from the local Verizon store and have an employee put it on for me. It was probably the better plan anyway, since I could see myself stressing over putting the screen protector on properly. I know my brother did when he was trying to put his screen protector on his iPhone.

Overall, I am enjoying my new phone so far. It didn't take too long for me to get used to how this works. In fact, I am typing up this post from the phone as well*, and I can type fairly quickly without many typos either. The app selections haven't failed me yet, and I have been experimenting with several things, like taking a video and uploading it onto YouTube. The only disappointment I have is that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't support microSD cards like I thought it did. I will have to try out the USB connect mode to see how easy it is to transfer data to and from the phone. At least this model already has 32 GB built-in.

*Final post edited and published via Pugyuu as always.

Here are some of the apps that I decided to download, some of which I knew I was going to want, and some of which I found in the Google Play apps selections.

Utility Apps 
  • Foursquare
  • Blogger
  • Twitter 
  • Steam
  • SoundHound
  • Google Japanese Input Beta
  • Go SMS Pro - Required for...
    • Go SMS Emoji.
  • Amazon Appstore
  • RedLaser Barcode Reader
Entertainment Apps
  • Draw Something
  • Words with Friends
  • Hanging with Friends
  • Scramble with Friends
  • Bejeweled Blitz Turns out the Android one isn't an official BB, and if I can't share my scores, it kinda defeats the purpose, with so many other games in the list here...
  • Triple Town 
  • Pocket Pond 2
  • Fruit Ninja
Well, I'm sure this will be enough to keep me occupied for a while. I don't want to download a whole bunch of apps at once either, with my 2 GB monthly data plan.

I'm also wondering what to do about the battery life as well. There seems to be apps out there that can help turn off features when I'm not using them to prolong the battery life by an hour or two, but user reviews for them seem to show that they cause some minor connectivity problems afterwards. I have yet to experience the battery life under normal usage, since I've been spending all my time on learning the device. Once I know what the average battery life is, I'll consider getting one of those battery saving apps to see how much time they really do save, and how bad the problems that other reviewers have said about them.

In the meantime, enjoy a test video I made of Firion using the Galaxy Nexus, which I took vertically, without thinking much about how it would appear off the phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment