Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Feesh! - Firion 5

So just as I've wanted, here are some more pictures of Firion. This time on a 5 MegaPixel camera as opposed to 3. Not the 8.0 MP I wanted originally, but this should do for now.  

Edit: It seems like uploading pictures directly from the phone using the Blogger App automatically resizes the pictures to the "Medium" size setting it seems. Sounds like a reasonable feature, but not sure if I like it entirely. I will re-upload them in the original size if I get some requests.

Aside from me getting the Galaxy Nexus, I also went and got the Betta Waste Remover at PetSmart. It's basically a turkey baster, but it's what's appropriate for a fishbowl and no gravel. It isn't the amazing solution for keeping the bowl clean by itself, but it definitely helps in removing what you can pick up, and prolongs the time for when you need to change the water. It is so far keeping the water cleaner longer, albeit it is kind of a high maintenance solution, so it isn't something I would recommend for everyone.

The problem with the waste remover is that it's pretty much only good for removing poop and any uneaten food that falls to the bottom of the bowl. With smaller particles that you find in the water, you'd just have to replace the water to get a thorough job, as obvious as it is. From my experience, uneaten pellet foods that have been sitting in water for quite a while may break up into these fine particles in the water, so I try to remove any food that falls right after I'm done feeding him. The best thing to deal with those particles would be a pump and filter, and bettas generally don't like how it creates water current, I believe.

As of now, it's been about 2 weeks since a thorough clean of his bowl, and the water is looking clean enough at the moment. In fact, I probably won't have to change his water for another week or two probably, but we'll see. If so, it's definitely nice that I don't have to keep Firion in some foggy water which happens a day or two after completely changing his water, due to tap water going through the foggy phase around then. PetSmart does sell Water Clarifiers, similar to the Water Conditioner that I use, but I also have a replacement water sitting on the side, which is there to get the replacement water past the foggy phase. Back when I had the fish tank and four goldfishes, I used a similar technique with a big bucket for a week, which was also enough for the chlorine compounds to die off, allowing my goldfish to swim in it fine. Back then, I didn't know there were products to kill chlorine compounds, but considering the goldfishes managed to live for a decade, I guess that technique works. Regardless, I've been using the water conditioner anyway, since I already have it. It not only kills chlorine, but also helps Firion by enhancing his slime coat too.

As a bonus, here's a rare picture of Firion settling between the rock and the plant. He sometimes likes to sit in small gaps it seems, and occasionally you'll see him in weird places. If I can catch him wedging himself in between the plants again, I'll try to take a picture of him without getting his attention and swimming up to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment