Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Smartphone Shopping

Verizon's enV3
I'm approaching the end of my current cell phone's 2 year contract this month, and I am looking into making the switch to a smartphone. But I haven't exactly decided on what smartphone to get at the moment either, or whether if it is a reasonable switch either. I know some of the criteria for what phone I should get though, and a few things that I don't care much about. So hopefully that will help me find the best smartphone available for me. I'm gonna miss my enV3 though. At least it could double as a dedicated mp3 player and a few other stuff for backup.

 So first, let me list the things that I'm not interested in.
  1. Durability - I could care less if the phone is made with kevlar protection or the screen has an anti-scratch or crack layer. I'm a very careful person when it comes to handling... well, most things. Cell phones also being one of them. I wouldn't mind having it if it has all the other things I want in the phone, but it's no deciding factor in what phone I will get. 
  2. Price - Considering that I will be "stuck" with the same phone for 2 years with another contract, I'd rather pay the amount it costs for a really good phone that I will be happy with for 2 years than save a few bucks and regret the decision I made for the whole 2 years. Been there once, never again will I let it happen. 
  3. Auto Correct - Yeah, I can type fine on a small screen, and I know how to spell as well. All auto correct will do is... well, stuff like this
And here are the main criteria for my new smartphone.
  1. Verizon - I'm on a family plan, and my family is on Verizon's plan. Personally, I prefer Verizon anyway because of the service signal strength. Better coverage indeed, as a general whole. Only exception to this would be if a different service is has better reception than Verizon at the place you would be at the most, like in your home or at your work place. Most likely though, Verizon should have me covered. It's too bad I missed out on the deal for unlimited data plan for the same price as the minimum data plan right now. Vicki managed to get grandfathered in on that deal, but my Dad certainly got in the way of that plan once again. It's his loss in the end, when I end up going over my data plan. 
  2. Flexibility / Customization - I like being able to customize my phone to my liking. I wanted being able to change my ringtones to whatever I wanted, which I got with the enV3. Supposedly Vicki should be able to do that with her iPhone 4 as well, but she hasn't done so yet, and even aside from that, it seems like the text alert tone is limited and uncustomizable. She's definitely upset about that, and I would be too. So I'm not too interested in an iPhone, for the most part. 
  3.  Access to Good Apps - What's the point of a smartphone if it has little or no app support? You'd have a Blackberry which is only about as good for word documents and reading .pdf files or something. Personally, I'm interested in the Android's app market. I've seen Apple's Apps, and honestly, so much of its "huge library of Apps" mostly consist of crApps. Some of which try to be fApps with sexual content, but with Apple restricting any Apps that are deemed "too sexy" from being in their library, they're basically censored down crApps anyway. With that said, I don't know all about the Android's App market yet. As long as I get to do less sifting through the crApps to find the good Apps, then that's fine with me. 
  4. SD Card Support - I like being able to move things from my phone to Pugyuu and vice versa. It makes moving data from one device to another fairly simple through the use of a micro SD Card. But Apple doesn't like removable memory space on their devices or something, so iPhone is out here too. 
  5. Good Quality Camera - As mentioned in my post regarding Firion, the video quality of Firion I took with my current phone was subpar, and need a better video recording device. I'm not sure how much better I can expect a smartphone to do against an actual camcorder, but with how most smartphones have at least 8.0 MegaPixels, it's still a huge improvement from my enV3's 3.0 MegaPixel camera.
That pretty much covers it. I'll be adding any phone that seems to meet these criteria to my next wishlist coming up soon, which consists of items that I've wanted that slipped my mind when I was making both previous wishlists. Hopefully this one will cover everything for a good while before I make another one again. >_>;

No comments:

Post a Comment