Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013

MegaCon 2013

I took Saturday off from work this week so that I could go to MegaCon in Florida. The only other convention that I've been to was in New York, and back then I didn't have a job, so I went and came home with nearly empty hands due to a nearly empty wallet. I've seen some cool stuff at that convention though, so I told myself then that the next time I go to a convention would be when I have money to spend at the vending booths and/or if I have a costume for cosplaying at the event. Unfortunately, I didn't get to put together a costume for MegaCon either, but at least I've been working at my job for long enough to save up some spending money.

Entrance fee was $30 there, since we missed out on the early registrations online. I ended up not going to any panels since we got there pretty late due to the severely congested traffic on the highway there. I'm not sure if I've complained about how Florida roads are terrible, despite dumping so much money into road construction all the time it seems, at least in Orlando, but the way these roads are connected are absolutely asinine. They manage to do construction on things that doesn't need to be worked on, and forgo doing any meaningful construction over the past 3 years I've been here in Florida.

Getting back on track from the tangent, MegaCon was both huge in the convention center's space and the number of people that were there that day. A good half of the crowd seemed to be in cosplay, which was definitely a fun environment to be in. It felt like a good 20% of the cosplayers were from MS Paint Adventure's Homestuck characters though. There may have been some cosplay panel for the series that I wasn't aware of. There were also a couple of League of Legends cosplays I saw, and a couple more of Team Fortress 2 characters. Characters from various different anime were present as well, some that are recent, some that are classic, some that are popular, and some that are maybe lesser known. I was going to take lots of pictures, but I was too busy the whole time to do so.

Now the things that I was busy with there was looking at all the venders' booths there to find three things.
  1. A sword to symbolize the Truth; which I envision to be a double-edged sword. Preferably made of combat steel (not purely ornamental). I want my swords to be sturdy, and if the Truth gets dented easily, it wouldn't be too suitable to symbolize the Truth. Doesn't need to be sharpened.
  2. Wall scrolls to decorate my (future) room with.  
  3. Huckebein Boxer, if there was some miraculous chance that someone had it for sale. Needless to say, I did not find one.
Unfortunately, most of the swords I saw at the booths were katanas, which are one-sided blades. Even aside from that, I believe they were all ornamental blades, which was very disappointing. The last convention I went to had a pretty nice, double-edged sword made of combat steel for $200. Too bad I didn't have the cash back then. As for the wall scrolls, there weren't any in particular that I was interested enough to buy. Instead, I did find a pretty cool poster ($10) that I'd like to frame and hang on my wall. Here's the exact picture of it.

Aside from that, I also bought a goldfish-shaped chop stick rest for myself ($5), and a plastic model kit for Tiger & Bunny, to go with Vicki's Tiger & Bunny goods she bought. $34 each.
The other thing I was busy with was keeping up with my 3DS's Street Passes. I was hoping to get 100 Street Passes that day to get the achievement, as well as earning lots of in-game goodies. I got 50 Weapon Gems in Kid Icarus, I had to get on Mario Kart 7 several times to refresh the Street Pass data, Theatrhythm proficards and Dead or Alive: Dimensions profiles obtained, New Super Mario Bros. 2. Coin Rush Mode records exchanged, and of course, lots of progress in the Mii Plaza. I wish that the max number of Street Passes were higher so that I wouldn't have to constantly check it as often, but that could disrupt the flow of some games, like Mii Plaza in particular. Unfortunately, I didn't get the 100 Street Pass in a day achievement, but I did get quite a bit; more than when I went to the Nintendo World Store on the Wii U launch day.  

As far as photos go, my pictures didn't turn out very well, and upon searching on Google for MegaCon 2013 already provides the same people I took pictures of with better photography effort put into them. Regardless, I had fun going to this convention, and I'd REALLY like to try cosplaying for the next convention I go to. The question is, who to cosplay as... ?

1 comment: