Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Eternal Sleep Close to Home

I really didn't think I'd be digging a third burial ground any time soon. At least, not this soon, right after burying the goldfishes from the carnival. I decided against burying Firion next to the goldfishes though, since he simply deserved better than the spot I had originally chosen for them. They were buried at the side of the house, behind the fence where you'd have to walk all around the house to get to. No one ever goes there, except a bunch of cats apparently, to use as their litter box because I saw so many cat turds there, which is what deterred me from burying Firion there. Instead, I chose in front of the house, next to a tree that I can see from the window here in this room where Firion and I spent the most time in. I already feel much better knowing that his burial site is where I can see from here.

I decided to further decrease the chances of cats pooping at Firion's burial spot by buying a plant to plant atop his grave. I couldn't stand to let the bane of his existence that kept him from being the center of attention like I had wanted him to be to dishonor him any further than they have already. The plant I got was a lavender, as it was the closest thing I can think of that resembles Firion's appearance that can also grow here in Florida. I just hope that it will grow well and strong underneath the tree. The reason why I chose under a tree is... well, the criteria is already high to begin with.
  • A place close to "home", this room.
  • No feline feces.
  • Where the lavender can grow best in; not somewhere too wet.
    • The backyard floods a lot during rain, so that wouldn't work too well.
  • The grass was greener under the tree compared to other parts where there was too much sun exposure. 
  • Somewhere where it's least likely that the lavender would get mowed. 
    • Couldn't exactly find the best place for that, so I lined it with white rocks. 
I'm still sad that I couldn't do all the things that I wanted to do with Firion. That also included getting a 10 gallon tank that I was going to get for the goldfish, which I would have used for Firion after Herschel died for the same reason. I could have picked out more decorations for him, and maybe play with him some since he was intelligent enough. In fact, I wonder whether if I'll ever find another fish that is as smart as Firion. He sure figured out a way to get himself out of the toxic waters by sitting on top of the floating log, and that was the only time he's ever jumped out of the waters like that. He certainly had the potential for more, and yet had to succumb to ammonia poisoning...

Speaking of the reason of death, my brother mentioned something that I hadn't considered. It could be Hurricane Sandy's fault for the tap water to have contained some ammonia, or an imbalance in the water that contains chloramine for treatment that caused it to break into ammonia and some other compounds. The hurricane passed by here in Florida on October 29th, 2012, around 5 AM, and I know this for a fact since I was awake and standing in the warehouse at Benton Express on that Monday morning when it suddenly rained and the cold front hit us. Firion's water change schedule was always on the first of the month, and like I had mentioned previously, the water seemed poor quality even before a week passed after the change of water then. If only I had made the connection and realized the problem, Firion could have lived on longer, but seeing how weak and not-so-damaging Hurricane Sand-in-her-vagina was here in Orlando, I thought nothing of it unlike my brother who's in New Jersey that got hit hard by her.

On the topic of ammonia in the tap water, I also picked up a water testing solution, a Sentry AQ Mardel brand to confirm Firion's reason of death. Unfortunately, when I got home and opened the package, the solution that it came with was already expired... in June of 2010 even. What the hell? The thing cost me $9 too that I didn't exactly have after buying the lavender (which was only $3.48, and no tax), and my payment for working at Halloween City failed. I need to get this thing returned for sure.

The package contained a test tube, color chart, and 4 testing solution sticks that were expired. I tried them out, just in case, but the three tests I've done all showed no color change what-so-ever, with three different water samples. I might just take some water samples with me to PetSmart, since they claim they will do water tests for free. Now that I am feeshless, that may be the best option I have instead of spending more money on tests that could potentially expire.

Well... for those of you waiting for gaming posts, sorry to keep you waiting. I'm sure the next one will be gaming related for sure. Thank you for reading.

Edit: Got what water I had tested. Came out clear. One was water I had in reserve, which may or may not be before Hurricane Sandy hit, and the other was the spring water, which I don't know why I had tested. I had nothing else left, I guess... Had Sandy hit a week earlier or 4 days later, it wouldn't have affected Firion much probably...

1 comment:

  1. R.I.P. Firion. You were a great feesh! Firion was really beautiful and he was, indeed, very intelligent. He amused me when he flared his fins up at a hairbrush. (It's probably a good thing he was a feesh and not a dog or cat, because he sure didn't like brushes too much.) xD The owner of this blog, whom I know in real life, inspired me to get my own Betta fish, whom I named Betty. ("Betty" the Betta!) She was blue and really cute. Unfortunately, Betty passed away a few months after Firion passed away. =( However, I had never had a Betta fish as a pet before, and I have always been more partial to fuzzy, fuzzy animals. But seeing how cute Firion was, and how easy and inexpensive he was to care for, inspired me to get Betty. I must say, I had a lot of fun with her. Even though I couldn't pet her, that didn't make her any less "fun" of a pet. She kept me company during my schoolwork, and she kept my mind busier because I had a pet to care for. That is what I needed the most at the time, since I have a fiance in the military and he is almost always gone. I needed a distraction, and my Betta fish provided that distraction for me.
    Thank you, owner of this blog, for helping me choose such a wonderful companion at the pet store, and R.I.P. Firion, who inspired everything and will be missed always.

    ReplyDelete