Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Manual Labor

So I gave the same job that my temp agency gave me another try, and made sure to be ahead in the line to get myself in the job this time. It worked, and finally got to do some work officially finally.

The temporary agency that got me this job is Infiniti Employment Solutions in Orlando Florida. They did a much better job at finding me a job than Job Vantage... or rather, actually did something instead of just telling you to look up jobs online on their website, which really doesn't help much; at least not for me who doesn't have much job experience yet. Job Vantage is only worth checking out if there is a scheduled assembly by a company with job opportunities, I believe, so if you're looking for a job, check out what's on their schedule at their location, but other than that, they won't be of any help other than to provide a computer with internet. But considering you're reading this right now, that's hardly necessary for you, I'm sure.

Anyway, Infiniti sent me to a truck unloading and warehousing job at Benton Express, a family owned business that's been around for quite a while now it seems. The work I do there on Fridays and Saturdays is help unload a truck that's filled from bottom to top with boxes. As they come out of the truck, we sort and stack the boxes according to a sorting number. When stacking, all boxes' sorting number must be showing somewhere on the sides of the stack. Once the stack gets tall enough, around 6 ft to 7 ft tall maybe, you shrink wrap the boxes together to keep the boxes in place for the forklifts to come and move them to the right trucks at the warehouse. This typically takes about an hour and a half for each truck load. Breaks are included between trucks. The job lasted until around 9 AM; not sure what time I officially "start" at, although I come at 4:30 AM.

On Mondays, however, we ride with a truck driver to the destinations of the boxes to unload them where they belong. Mondays will get you more hours since people are split up to go with different trucks with different destinations. Some trucks (probably most) will have multiple destinations, so some might take longer than others. I'm not too sure at the moment though, since I only worked on a Monday once so far. I arrived at 4:30, and I worked from 7:00 AM to 1:30 PM that day.

This isn't quite the job that I'd want to stick with, although I guess I don't mind working here either since I seem to be building up some muscle strength doing this. More-so, I question whether if I fit in with the crowd very well, as I feel like a fairly sheltered minority compared to the others. I try to fit in as much as I can, but I have trouble joining in some of the conversations that goes on between my co-workers. Such as middle-aged people that has had experience at several other jobs and currently work there because other places they applied at tell them that they are "over qualified", and prefer hiring a younger person for cheaper. Then there are the people with 6 or 7 kids to feed, and the only job they could get is this one. Finally, there seems to be some that has been charged with criminal offenses, although for some stupid stuff or simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time. All these people are people working from Infiniti it seems, so it makes me wonder whether if people like me are just finding jobs elsewhere or if Infiniti finds better places to work at later on for people that fits them better. Either way, I personally don't have any problems with working with these people. I just feel like I can't contribute my story to these people's stories about themselves since all I do is mostly play video games and blog about them.

Speaking of video games and blogging about them, who knows when I'll be able to blog about them next since I haven't been able to play them in quite a while, other than the usual, daily stuff. I plan on writing more reviews, but the next ones will be for Android apps mostly. Sorry if they don't quite interest you, and I don't blame you. >_< I'll try to make some time to finish Recettear to write a review on it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment