Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Going Against SOPA / PIPA

I haven't been keeping up with politics and law much, but this is just such a big deal, I felt the need to blog my stance on Stop Online Piracy Act and Protect IP Act. I've signed a petition a while back, but I may sign it again on this petition from Google. Here's another petition against Entertainment Software Association who's supporting SOPA, and as a gamer, I support the companies I buy games from, but if supporting them means supporting ESA, which supports SOPA, then we're at a loss. Thankfully, Stuttering Craig from ScrewAttack has a solution.


Aside from that, I'm against SOPA because a good majority of this blog consists of me talking about the games that I play. If copyrighted materials get censored, there will be very little for me to talk about on this blog.

The biggest argument of all though is that pirates will find another way to keep doing what they're doing anyway. Why does everyone else have to suffer a possibly bigger punishment; just to be a minor hindrance to the pirates that the bill is targeting? It's a no-brainer that SOPA and PIPA are just going to cause more harm than it does any good.

If you haven't signed a petition yet, it is in everyone's benefit for you to do so. If you think that enough people have signed them already and made it known how bad it is for you to do anything, think again. I've seen cases where some ridiculous laws have passed because of negligent thoughts like that and things turn for the worse, and I don't want to see that happening again. If you already have signed the petitions, you could always find more people to sign them as well.

I can definitely say this though. If SOPA or PIPA DO somehow pass, I will probably stop blogging. ._. It would definitely sadden me, but with little topics to post about, and the need to tip toe around all censored subjects, it just wouldn't be worth the trouble for me to do all that to share my thoughts on the internet. Maybe I'll just... actually write in a journal or something. Out of public eyes, and not have the self-motivation of improving my writing either. That would definitely suck. >_>

No comments:

Post a Comment