Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Poll - Handy Devices

It's mid-January 2013, so it's time for another poll result!

What devices do you take with you?
Smartphone - 5 votes
Cell phone (not smart) - 5 votes
Nintendo 3DS - 3 votes
Older Nintendo DS - 3 votes
PSP - 3 votes
iPod Touch - 2 votes
Other mp3 player - 1 vote
Older gaming device - 1 vote
Other - 1 vote
PS Vita - 0 votes

9 voters total

This poll was inspired while I was talking about how some "portable" devices seem to have grown larger than what would be "pocket-sized". So I wanted to know what people are actually taking with them when they go out somewhere. From the looks of it, this poll shows some interesting data.

The top two are probably the most obvious; cell phones, whether if it's a smartphone or not. The first interesting thing to note is how both of them have 5 votes each, showing that the population of... well, my extremely small test sample, the number of people with and without a smartphone are nearly the same. The second interesting thing is the fact that I said nearly the same. My test sample consists of 9 voters, and yet there are a total of 10 phones, meaning one person apparently carries both a smartphone and a non-smart, cell phone with them. The most common reasoning for this, I would assume, is that the non-smart phone is a work-issued phone, or just a work-only number.

The next interesting data might be the split between 3DS and older DS models being used right now. It is yet another equal split, along with the PSP too. Unfortunately, being that the way these polls work, I can't tell whether if each are carried by different people, or the same person is carrying multiple handhelds with them. I would think different people are carrying the 3DS and older DS models though; wouldn't make too much sense to carry both under normal circumstances.

Next is mp3 players. They used to be a big thing that nearly everyone had, almost like walkmans (portable CD players for the younger audiences) back in the day. But apparently only two iPod Touches, and 1 other mp3 player is tagging along with the owner, which is definitely interesting. Perhaps it's how so many other devices can play mp3s now, like cell phones, 3DS, PSP, and who knows what "other" is that has 1 vote. In fact, most people probably just stream radio stations on their phones now, which can be cool if you have unlimited data. More in-depth research is definitely possible here.
Finally, the PlayStation Vita. No votes from any of my audiences, it seems. It is kind of losing in popularity compared to the 3DS and smartphones for gaming. I know I have a friend who recently got one, but he's been busy in the army, so he hasn't had much time to tell me about the games on it, nor vote on my poll unfortunately. I'd like to know what Sony's plans are with it, and whether if it will be a late bloomer as it gets more big titles on it, or be the end of Sony's hand in the handheld market.

Well, that's what I've got from this poll result. I'd like to know more about the decisions of why some people take certain devices... and perhaps a reason for why they don't take something with them, even if they own one. Please leave a comment if you would like to share with us your decisions.

*Disclaimer - This is no where near an official survey, nor an actual research as there were very little thought put into this; just me rambling. All this was thrown together purely from my curiosity, and contribution to this discussion is voluntary, much like all the polls I put up. I clearly don't get paid for the data I gather, and if I did, I'd most likely be fired for the lack of effort in finding more test samples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment