Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Poll - Blog Content for 2013

It's February 1st, so it's time to bring up the results for another poll!

What do you want to see more of in 2013?
Video game reviews - 3 votes
League of Legends guides - 2 votes
Other - 2 votes
Other gaming content - 1 vote
Personal content - 1 vote
Better blog layout - 1 vote
Smartphone app reviews - 0 votes
Message forum - 0 votes

Total votes: 4

So this is what ... well, four people want to see on this blog. More video game reviews, and mostly other details about games. Understandable. Despite there being plenty of websites out there with reviews for video games, it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion on things, especially coming from real gamers as opposed to some place that reviews games for money. And I'm not suggesting that big name sites are taking bribes or anything. As much as that annoys me, it also annoys me that the web owner will assign a mediocre gamer to review a certain game that they just simply don't get. I've seen things like this plenty of times, saying that a game is not fun due to how "unresponsive" or complains about how difficult the game is because the reviewer doesn't know how to play the game properly. Excuse me if this is already sounding very rant-y, but poor reviews like that makes me cringe. All it does is show how the site is employing article writers instead of actual gamers to write their reviews. I've stopped reading reviews on sites where I've noticed these things.

If people do care about my video game reviews, I'm glad that my reputation as both a gamer, and an honest, unbiased reviewer are being valued by others. I should see what else I can do to my reviews to improve it. I've been avoiding doing a scoring system since I don't really have a standardized scoring system for games since one score just doesn't seem to do the whole review any justice, and if I were to do a scoring system, it would get complicated. For example, for my recent Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy review, it would be something like...
I agree with this image.

6.0 + x + y out of 10, where x is 1 if you're a fan of rhythm games, y is 0.5 if you're a fan of Final Fantasy games, and 0 for both otherwise.

I'm not too sure if I like how this complicated scoring system would end up looking in the end, but this is how I would score them since different gamers have different tastes, and one static score for a game isn't going to have an accurate representation for everyone. I suppose it's worth asking in the next poll whether if this is something that I should implement in all of my reviews however.

Anyway, back to the poll, there's one thing that I find very odd and contradictory. How is there 0 votes for Smartphone app reviews? I was under the impression that people wanted those more than anything else since they tend to be the most viewed pages on my blog as shown by the Top 5 Popular Posts (within the last 7 days) at the bottom of the page. Even right now, while I'm writing this post, 4 out of 5 of the most popular posts are about Smartphone apps, with the other one being the review for Star Ocean 2. Maybe I'm missing an awful lot of votes from mobile users since the mobile version of this blog doesn't show anything on the right side of the blog on the web version. I'm not sure what the best solution would be to get my mobile viewers to vote in the polls since I actually like how the mobile version of the site looks on a small, mobile device. Perhaps I could try imbedding a poll inside a blog post would solve that problem, and... maybe it'll be a solution that I'll look into.

Finally, zero support for a message forum for The Code of Truth. I was thinking it could be a place where discussions could be made, and people who play the games that I talk about here could discuss strategies and trade monsters or something, but... seeing how my Chat Box turned out, perhaps it is for the best to not have a message forum. It'll just get spammed up with advertisements, most likely, unless I bring a community over and appoint moderators. I like the idea of having a community to base what to post about on the blog though, but that will have to wait until later I guess.

2 comments:

  1. did you watch the superbowl game today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, how are you doing in Dark Summoner! Currently, I'm trying to buy monsters for cheap since the price are going crazy now. I don't even know the correct price for AAs now. Haha...

    ReplyDelete