Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How U Mine 4 Fish?

A few days ago, Vicki dragged me to a carnival when I was still tired from work, and had work the next morning as well. You already know how THAT is. But what's more, I found out that she is awfully loose with her money if she knows she has money. That rule also extends to money that isn't her's as well. Why? Because her friend Jamie wanted to play one of the carnival games where you try to throw table tennis balls into jars to win a goldfish, and despite my objections to winning a goldfish that I would have to get a tank, air pump, and filter for to take care of properly, she had me give her a dollar, a grown woman who's older than me and has had a job (albeit a low paying one) for a very long time, just because I would be the one keeping (and ultimately stuck with the responsibilities of) the fish. Well, guess what? I won a fish.

Another of our friend, Jenna also won two fish from playing as well, and I was only going to be holding onto them until she gets prepared for keeping them as well. But as it turns out, the one I won and one of her's succumbed to some sort of disease I'm assuming and didn't live for very long after getting them home from the carnival. It could also be that the change to this small tank that I have for them here was still too stressful for them, weakening their immunity systems.

The next day, I had to rush out to PetSmart after getting back from work to pick up the essential needs, mainly the air pump to aerate the water as necessary for these goldfish who don't have an organ to allow them to breathe oxygen from the air like betta fish do. The total ended up being a little more than I would have liked, although I didn't want to spend that dollar either to be stuck with additional responsibilities that I have less of a chance to keep up, now that I have two jobs. I also found out that the fish we won are Comet Goldfish, which are as cheap as 27 cents each; 13 cents each for smaller (younger) ones. They're definitely not worth getting from the carnival games at all. Regardless, the goldfish is pretty cute, and seems to be doing well after doing an emergency water switch to four bottles of spring water to keep it safe from whatever disease that got the other two goldfish. Had I known I would have ended up with goldfish though, I would have prepared water for them a week in advance, which was what I used to do with the two goldfish I won from a carnival when I was a kid.


This little guy is awfully energetic, which is good that he's lively, unlike the other two that have died, but it's hard to get a good picture of him since he won't stay still. I hope that he gets his sleep so that he doesn't end up being too stressed out. I know I am from what little sleep I've been getting lately. Anyway, I decided to name him after a comet since he's a comet goldfish. Decided to ask my friends on Facebook what to name him, and Herschel Swimmington has the most likes so far. Seconded by Finlay. Whipple Starr having the least likes, which, I guess, is the weakest of names. Herschel, Whipple, and Finlay are names I've taken from comets, and I figured I might as well add some video game references in them too, so Swimmington was added to Herschel as a Professor Layton reference (without blatantly just naming it Layton). Whipple Star is the name of a planet in Kirby 64, but... might not be most fitting for a goldfish. Finlay's just Finlay since I couldn't think of any video game references for it. Other names were suggested as well, but I honestly can't say that I liked most of them. A lot were not serious like Fish Stick or unoriginal like Nemo (not even a clownfish). I'm personally leaning towards naming him Herschel at the moment.

Feel free to drop a couple more suggestions for names for some comet goldfish though, since I plan on giving him new friends once I get a 10 gallon tank for him. They are a community fish after all, so him being by himself would get a bit lonely, and Firion isn't necessarily the nicest of roommates (tankmates?) I would think.

No comments:

Post a Comment