Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

Pugyuu - Superiority at Stake

I talked about Pugyuu a bit in my post, Legacy of Lappy, and haven't really mentioned him very much since then. Even though Pugyuu's been an important part of my life as the gateway to the internet, gaming, and most online gaming, my appreciation for Pugyuu has gone unspoken for too long. So thank you, Pugyuu, and Asus for creating the M50Vm-B1 model laptops.

However, it has been about 3 and 1/2 years since I bought Pugyuu, and technology has obviously made quite the advancement in computer specs. Lappy was about 3 years old when I decided to get Pugyuu due to the advancement on modern expectation of technology and the limits to Lappy's specifications grew a large gap that kept me from certain activities. I worry that Pugyuu's specs may not meet the requirements for what may come in the future. It seems like a good number of my friends will be playing Guild Wars 2, and others may also want me to join them in Diablo III. I'm not too concerned about whether if Pugyuu can handle these games, but as technology continues to grow, there will come a time when Pugyuu may not bring satisfactory results.

... And the eye-opening revelation is already on its way.

I don't think I talked too much about Azure Wave, Vicki's special-edition midnight blue HP laptop. It... isn't a very good model, in my opinion. The battery sticks out to prop it up, which is awkward, the specs weren't very good on it, at least, not for what Vicki wanted to use it for, and for some reason, it's always had an issue with overheating. It's been sent back to HP multiple times for repairs, like the fan stopping on it, or some other issues. Looking at it now in its current condition... it's... beyond repair, honestly. First, the back cover of the monitor, seen on the left, fell off, and wouldn't properly snap back on. Next, the hinges cracked and eventually completely broke off, so the monitor doesn't stand up on its own. I worry that the wires that the monitor is hanging on may go bad at this rate, rendering the whole computer useless. 

Due to this, I ended up helping Vicki with research on what replacement laptop would be good for her. Her requirements were something that can play modern games, can handle her ridiculous tab-abuse on her FireFox browser, and that it isn't too big that it would be a pain to carry around for portability, while not being too small either with a small screen. The size limitation really reduces the number of viable laptops that meet her standards, since most gaming laptops tend to be larger to handle the better processors and graphics cards available, while also dissipating heat effectively. Newegg.com failed to find any laptops that Vicki really liked, unfortunately. So I decided to look at brands that handled gaming laptops in particular.

I checked two sites in particular.
Alienware seems to have what Vicki is interested in the most. Perhaps because aside from her requirements, she tends to like things that are visually pleasing. Which was why she chose Azure Wave previously, despite not really meeting the spec standards she would have wanted. After looking through the customization options available for Alienware laptops, it made me realize how much modern tech specs differ from what Pugyuu is equipped with. On top of that, Alienware also just announced the 3rd generation Intel Core i processors, which Vicki's new laptop will be equipped with. Surely Pugyuu's superiority as the best computer in the house will be challenged by the arrival of said Alienware.

I have no intention of replacing Pugyuu any time soon, but I worry about when I'll need to, and if so, what laptop would be best for me in the future. Especially since I am considering moving on to more advanced activities like video editing, recording gameplay using Fraps, and other things that may require higher-end software and specs that can handle them. I'm sure this blog may see more growth and popularity if I can create (decent to maybe good) videos to post here as well.

... I guess I should really be looking into getting something to record higher quality videos with right now though. A 3.0 Mega Pixel camera phone is far from acceptable quality. I think I have many good reasons for why I should upgrade to a Droid RAZR, especially since it's only a penny on Amazon Wireless now...

No comments:

Post a Comment