Layout HTML

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Growing Nostalgia - Vanguardian Axis

Well, it's great that I'm starting to write things again as I did years back, but there's still so much more of me that is left to be written; so much more inspiration left to wither as time passes on without being acknowledged. Namely my fictional stories I've written for the use of role playing back when that was big on forums and chatrooms, such as Vanguardian Axis and Crescent Legends. Being that they were plot lines used in a role play, I left some details open for the participants to fill in, but that being said, they were never really completed either way. It was definitely something I enjoyed, but simply could not find any worthy participants to cooperate. Perhaps looking in such a casual forum as Gaia Online was at fault, but at the time, it felt like home to me. In fact, one of the first things I did in Gaia Online was start my Vanguardian Axis role play there, and it has seen its successes and the entertainment it provided to the readers. I miss those days...


Vanguardian Axis is a sci-fi story inspired by several things. First being the Escape Velocity series for its role playing aspects and the made some base structures to the map of its galaxy and systems. Another being the Super Robot Wars series for its amazing ability to combine several different stories from mecha anime into one (or rather several, considering how many SRW games there are now) giant story, and I was definitely fond of many Real-type robots in the game. My personal favorite being Huckebein Mk-III.

And... who knows what else I was inspired by. @_@ I could just as easily say any Sci-Fi games I've played, like the Star Ocean series, Xenogears, as well as mecha anime, but that's a given since I already mentioned Super Robot Wars.

The setting of Vanguardian Axis takes place in Grand Vanguard, a large space colony specializing in artificial gravity technology, explaining the rather abnormal construct for a space station.


The city visible through the translucent layer of Solar-Trance Electro Panels (STEP) is simply known as Vanguard City. The role play started off mostly within the city to enjoy a futuristic lifestyle, partially to get people used to the advanced technology that the story setting would commonly revolve around. At the center is the Axis Tower which extends all the way down through the starbase, which is the main energy generator. During war, this tower can double as a devastating energy cannon through means of amplifying the destructive power through a rare gem nicknamed the "Black Diamond" which would become a quest for explorers to find in unexplored worlds.

Skipping ahead, I was planning on having a much larger and stronger force that knows the dangers of a force that utilizes artificial gravity technology to come and wage war to destroy Grand Vanguard. Don't get me wrong, I love my starbase and the amount of thought and detail I had put into the design and background of the colony. However, I found much more potential for character development and even a change for the better with a new design for a Neo Grand Vanguard in the future. Unfortunately, that plan had never finished, as the role play had halted to a stop after participation grew thin. Whenever I feel inspired enough, I am thinking of designing a more complex starbase than Grand Vanguard.

Do keep in mind, I skipped out on a lot of detail in the explanation of this story, such as a possible prequel of sorts, to gather a new audience, starting with the creation of Grand Vanguard through what would be known as Meteos Wars. And yes, this time I was inspired by the game Meteos on the Nintendo DS, seeing it as a fun way to start a new story in the open world of outer space. Not to mention that I hadn't even mentioned any of my characters that were involved in all this.. Might be faster to just link to where all the role play had taken place, I guess. Where it all began.

I'll probably talk about Crescent Legends next, or more so, probably my favorite character in the story, Clarine Faye Lirshell.

Also... I seriously lack consistency in topics in my blog so far. @_@ Where am I going with all this?! Hopefully I can organize all this in the future.

1 comment: